Thursday, January 08, 2009

Goal Setting

I used to write myself a list of things I should accomplish, things I should achieve, targets I should meet, at the beginning of every new year, each and every year.

I used to write down stuff like "I aim to be a better person / friend this year".... "I aim to spend more time with my wife / family this year".... "I will laugh more and lose my temper less"...

I used to write them down and then never meet them... I mean, how do you measure spending more time with your wife? Put a punch card next to her? Track down on your excel spreadsheet every minute you are next to her? How do you determine you laughed more and lost your temper less? Subjective is the keyword here.

This year, I resolve not to set non-measurable goals for 2009. I will not set any personal life goals; when it comes to my family, I will tell myself that the bottomline is: They can count on me to be there anytime they need me, and that exceeds all goals / expectations set.

For my friends, I will be there for you whenever I can, with my utmost capacity; but bear in mind, I will not be there for you at 3am and you can't sleep and want a teh tarik. Go get a copy of MAXIM or whatever it is that you fancy and keep yourself entertained.

The only measurable goals I will set for myself for 2009 are my training / workout goals. I know what I want to achieve, I know what I want to do and I tailored my goals to keep me on track to meet the targets I have set for myself:

Number 1: Overall Goal: I will accomplish / cover (a minimum) 4000km this year in total in running / biking / swimming.

Number 2: Endurance Goal: I will finish a full marathon (42.195km). This is a target I have set for the 1st half of 2009, with sights set on the KLIM09 in June.

Number 3: Speed Goal: I will achieve sub-4-hours timing in POWERMAN Malaysia 2009. This is a target I have set for the 2nd half of 2009, with sights set on the POWERMAN event in November.

And there you have it. 3 goals, 1 year to achieve them. I will not post a monthly review similar to what I have done for 2008, rather I will just update off and on for Goal #1 and where I stand. Goals #2 and #3 will be reviewed as and when the events I target for are completed.

Wish me luck!

7 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why dont you set 4000km just for cycling then we do together gether :)

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why don't you guys invent a cure for cancer while you're at it.... :)

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger CapArnabBrand said...

Guru: I'm selling off my bike..

Plum: The cure for cancer is get married..

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm done for, then.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

ROFL @ cure for cancer

Anyway good luck bro! All d best!

Motivate each other :)

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger CapArnabBrand said...

Andrew: Set your goals for 2009 and we'll achieve together!!

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you ever think
When you're all alone
All that we could be
Where this thing could go
Am I crazy or falling in love
Is it real or just another crush
Do you catch a breath
When I look at you
Are you holding back
Like the way I do
'Cause I'm trying, trying to walk away
But i know this crush ain't going
awaaaaAAAAaaaAAAAAaaaAAAAaayyyyyyyyyy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home